PDA

View Full Version : I need some help with my nipple jewelry...

MollyPolly
03-29-2012, 08:45 PM
Female here! Not sure if that matters, but it might?

I need to know what length of straight barbell will fit correctly. Without jewelry in the distance from hole to hole on either nipple is 1.4 cm/14mm/~.55 inch. I don't want something too snug that it would irritate anything, but too loose and they snag on everything (like now).

For "hoop" or ring jewelry, what diameter is appropriate? Remember, I have 14 gauge piercings.

Thanks a bunch!

BreeRad
03-30-2012, 10:15 AM
Hi Molly,

First, welcome to our forums!! We are glad to have you!!

About your nipple jewelry, it seems that you are just larger than 1/2", so to avoid the new barbells being too snug, I'd say 9/16" (14.2mm) would be your best bet.

If you were pierced with straight barbells, it might be hard to go to rings. La Nubita will have better information on that, so i'm hoping she pops in with her advice :) My boyfriend's nipples were pierced with straight barbells, and they rejected after we put rings in. I'm pretty sure the rings were the reason, so my best advice on that is to leave them straight...

La Nubita
03-30-2012, 11:39 AM
I meant to look at The Piercing Bible, because there is some technical info about this. Will look at tonight!

Merica
03-31-2012, 12:32 PM
I know it also has to do with how new the piercings are. My nipples got bigger after they were pierced, and your piercer may have used barbells that were too long for the initial jewelry to accommodate that possibility. I can't seem to find my copy of the piercing bible right now, but I'm sure Nubita will get back to us!

MollyPolly
03-31-2012, 12:46 PM
Thanks everybody! This forum sure beats Yahoo! Answers! :duh: Ha ha ha.

@Merica, I had my nipples pierced July 2011 and he used 3/4" to start off. He told me (I think) that 1/2" would definitely work in the future. That being said, I don't think my nipples would appreciate the squeeze! That piercer is in another state and I don't feel like heading into another parlor...call me modest. ;)

@BreeRad, thanks for that heads up! I really had no idea that that could be an issue... I might try some D-rings in that case! =) Thanks!

La Nubita
03-31-2012, 01:48 PM
so, with rings, you want to get a large enough diameter so the arc inside isn't too curved and the ring won't pinch the exit holes.

According to The Piercing Bible, here are the guidelines to sizing female nipple jewelry:

--for bars, 1/16" to 1/8" should be added to the post (based on your actual nipple size). the balls should be big enough that they don't get sucked into your piercing

--for rings, minimum diameter 5/8; 3/4" or larger is common

MollyPolly
03-31-2012, 02:57 PM
so, with rings, you want to get a large enough diameter so the arc inside isn't too curved and the ring won't pinch the exit holes.

According to The Piercing Bible, here are the guidelines to sizing female nipple jewelry:

--for bars, 1/16" to 1/8" should be added to the post (based on your actual nipple size). the balls should be big enough that they don't get sucked into your piercing

--for rings, minimum diameter 5/8; 3/4" or larger is common

Thank you! I actually have in 5/8" bars right now.... Still they seem too long to me. I've come to realize that the piercer used 4mm balls and the ones currently in have 5mm balls! I realize that's not the length, but I think it is affecting my nipples poorly. They're indented a bit... SO! I think I am going to try some 9/16" with 4mm balls. Once I've given them a run, I will post back here!

I'm going to try some 3/4" or larger rings maybe. Thanks so much for the information!

MollyPolly
03-31-2012, 03:10 PM
link removed

Does anyone happen to know if there are better deals out there?! :confused:

Soliloquy
03-31-2012, 03:22 PM
Most of us on here shop at the Steel Navel shop.

fishmommy
03-31-2012, 03:25 PM
you definitely don't want those - those are externally threaded and will rip up your piercing!
Price should not be a primary driver - spend the money on some quality internally threaded titanium jewelry and your piercings will be happy happy happy

La Nubita
03-31-2012, 06:50 PM
Sorry, I removed your link. While I'm not sure it's technically against the rules here (John, you can correct me on this); it's considered uncool at the very least to link to other jewelry retailers' sites.

Look for internally threaded IMPLANT grade jewelry by American manufacturers such as Industrial Strength. No, it's not cheap, but it's worth it.

You don't say how old your nipple piercing is==don't change your jewelry before it's fully healed.

Merica
04-01-2012, 12:12 PM
She said she had them pierced last July, they're probably ready to be changed and it will probably help to get the right size in there.

Everyone is right in suggesting high quality Industrial Strength or Anatometal jewelry for your nipple, but until you know what size is right, you can try a really cheap barbell. It's not worth it to spend the money on really high quality jewelry if it's the wrong size! You could try this for a cheap option: http://www.steelnavel.com/product.asp?ID=6195&MID=15&MID2=1 I haven't used this kind of barbell, but you can cut them to whatever size you want, so you could experiment a little with that. Otherwise, I don't see a cheap barbell in 9/16" that's internally threaded.

If you go with something cheap at first, you do want to make sure it's internally threaded, because passing threads through a nipple piercing can definitely irritate it. My nipples were VERY sensitive to what kind of jewelry I wore. Switching from really high quality stainless steel to really high quality titanium helped them a lot, so I wouldn't advise wearing any cheap jewelry for more than a day or so to decide what length is right.

Merica
04-01-2012, 12:18 PM
http://www.steelnavel.com/product.asp?ID=4501&MID=15&MID2=1&A1=5&A2=11 Here's another possibility that's cheap and internally threaded, but it doesn't come in every length and you can't pick the ball size either.

When you know what size you need, I would recommend one of these three options:
http://www.steelnavel.com/product.asp?ID=718&MID=15&MID2=1
http://www.steelnavel.com/product.asp?ID=724&MID=15&MID2=1
http://www.steelnavel.com/product.asp?ID=1466&MID=15&MID2=1
Coming from someone who's dealt with both happy and unhappy nipple piercings in the past, they're more expensive, but healthy nipple piercings are totally worth it. You really want to keep them happy, and these barbells all come in all different lengths and you get to pick the ball sizes. If you decide later that the ball ends are too large or too small, you can easily order more ball ends from SN too, and because of the brand name, you know they'll fit perfectly!

La Nubita
04-01-2012, 12:51 PM
excellent help from Merica!

Cheap jewelry is good for experimentation and sizing, I agree. However, I wouldn't try to put anything externally threaded in there, especially at 9 months.

Personally, I find Industrial Strength items have the best selection and combination of custom sizes, are easy to order, and of the highest quality. You can mix and match sizes, and reliably find replacement parts and you know the threads will mesh correctly.

bash
04-01-2012, 03:35 PM
Beware of short bars and small ends. I know you want a perfect fit...everyone does. The combination of small ends and a snug fit can result in something called embedding, where the skin closes over the end. This isn't pretty, and if left unchecked, requires cutting. I don't mean to frighten you, it's not common, but just be aware...

Merica
04-01-2012, 04:01 PM
I did also find that my nipples preferred ...ahem... slightly larger balls.

Everyone's nipples are different though!

MollyPolly
04-01-2012, 08:00 PM
I want to thank everybody for being so helpful and attentive! I really appreciate it! :D

Next, I'm not trying to get the parlor I went to in trouble. I asked around and they were supposed to be the most reputable in that city. He used externally threaded jewelry right away and I've never had anything but externally threaded. I realize that the grooves can irritate fresh piercings and harbor bacteria. That being said, I've never had a problem with my nipple piercings! I've taken them out several times to measure or switch. The only thing I've noticed is a tiny bit of buildup the next day. They're not sore or red or anything like that. I've also only ever had in surgical stainless steel.

I didn't mean to go against any code of conduct here on steelnavel by posting that link! It was just a reference point. For the record, I have searched extensively and am finding it nearly impossible to find 14 gauge 9/16" length with 4 mm balls with internal threads! Even here on steelnavel, I have to pre-order them. I am leaving the country in 5 weeks and don't have time for that.

I'll keep the embedding thing in mind, thanks for the tip! The idea of having my nipples trimmed down is horrifying....:no:

Merica
04-01-2012, 11:50 PM
Ahh. If you ordered them now, they might be here in time, but I don't know! I'm not sure about wearing PTFE long-term in nipples, but that's in stock and it's cheap and you can make it whatever size you like! Good luck.

milkshakes
04-02-2012, 01:42 AM
Hi guys! I found this thread extremely helpful :)
I've had my nipple's pierced since February 28, 2011 and had no idea where to start for jewelry! They are fully healed, but still have the same jewelry they were pierced with a 5/8" post.
After reading La Nubita's post about what the size of the bar and diameter for the rings should be, I finally have hope I can find the right fit. n________n thank you so much! I believe I should be looking for a 9/16" barbell because I'm about a 1/2" where the holes start and stop. >___>; Making it so it's not too snug and not too large so it doesn't end up getting caught on my clothing XD

Anyways thanks again, and I'm positive I'll find some awesome jewelry on this site for all my holes! :D

Merica
04-02-2012, 09:05 AM
Hey! That's great news, I'm glad we could help!

I want to add, don't be too afraid to "pre-order" something that's exactly the right size, it won't take that long because they order so regularly, but they call it pre-order so that you know not to expect it to ship tomorrow. I'm happy this was helpful to you too, and welcome to the forums. :D

steelnavel
04-03-2012, 08:00 AM
I just wanted to chime in on the pre-ordering. We're the largest online seller of Industrial Strength jewelry. We order every Tuesday, they custom make everything and ship back to us the following Tuesday. There has been tremendous growth in the industry and especially at IS. But they have added additional polishing and assembly people to keep up with the demand.

So, basically, if you order right before Tuesday, you can expect your order to ship in about a week. You will receive an email with a date two weeks after the Tuesday we would be ordering your jewelry. So it can seem way in the future, but if you know how our ordering works and how IS fills our orders, you can better estimate when you will receive your jewelry.

Also, we have millions of IS skus in our system, but there are millions that we do not. We're always happy to custom order anything IS can make. Just email us at service@steelnavel.com and Bree will assist you. Unless it's Tuesday when we chain her to her desk to create that IS order. :)

Merica
04-03-2012, 12:13 PM
Aww, poor Bree, chained to a desk all day today!