Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Airport Walk-through Metal Detectors

Default Airport Walk-through Metal Detectors

We often get questions about airport walk-through metal detectors and body jewelry. For obvious reasons, the TSA won’t tell you what size of item will set it off. For those with piercings in private areas, it could potentially be embarrassing to set off the detector.

Since I was able to walk through with 10g 5/8" titanium rings in my lobes, I thought it would be interesting to know what others have been able to take through without setting off the detector.

Please respond with the gauge, jewelry size, and type of piercing so we can help future pierced travelers know what does and doesn't set of the detector. Any funny stories out there?

John Coffman
    Steel Navel Body Jewelry Co-Owner
    John Coffman

dovetothemax Guest

Nothing funny. I got through with a 14g navel barbell, 2 18g cbr's in ears, and 5 "normal" post earrings.

Interesting note though, I wasn't thinking that morning and was wearing one of those belts with a bunch of metal loops on it from hot topic and that didn't set it off.

From what I understand there are two types of metal detectors, one senses types of metal by density (I think) and the other senses metal above a certain amount regardless of type. I have a friend with a metal rod in his tibia and some screws in his ankle, and that sets off both kinds every time.

I'm really curious at which gauge the metal detectors "see" body jewelry. The TSA web site discusses body jewelry but it's not very helpful. A funny thing about that page is that the TSA says "body piercings" may set off the metal detector not body jewelry. So using that logic, the belt loops on your pants, not the belt buckle would set off the detector. It goes on to say you may need to remove your "body piercing" in private. WOW, that must be really painful to remove the fistula. I hope they provide sterile scalpels and lots of bandages.

John Coffman

Acrylic_Duckie Guest

My lobes set it off (3/4", 4g, 6g) for sure but my 12g nipple piercings weren't caught.

I bet all the guys wearing large gauge PA jewelry are getting stopped for having dangerous weapons in their pants! []

John Coffman

unpolished Guest

[u]Steelnavel you were lucky that the alarm did not detect you at that time. otherwise the cops would have harassed you. do you know they would ask to undress---this is very insulting.</u>

jcub Guest

quote:Originally posted by unpolished

[u]Steelnavel you were lucky that the alarm did not detect you at that time. otherwise the cops would have harassed you. do you know they would ask to undress---this is very insulting.</u>
    WOW !
    thats some **** !

FeistyOne Guest

On our last trip to Jamaica, my husband went through with a 14g nipple ring (niobium) and 4, 8g frenum barbells (steel) didn't set off the alarms. On my way back from Infinite in Philly, getting my triangle done, I had a 10 gauge navel barbell in a VCH (steel)and 2, 3/4" CBR blurple titaniums (industrial strength)(bought from steelnavel!) and also a 12g 5/8" titanium circular (anatometal) I've gone through security with a 4 gauge, 3/4" circular in my hood before and never set it off. I've been told its because proper (good) body jewelry isn't ferromagnetic? Funny thing is, the zipper on my jeans has set it off, but not my jewelry!

I kind of wish it would....I'd really love to see TSA agents blush!

Auroforsy211 Guest

quote:[i]

I kind of wish it would....I'd really love to see TSA agents blush!
    That would be great, they are always so serious and rude.(but I guess they have to be serious.)

FeistyOne Guest

The ones I've met in Pittsburgh, Charlotte, Philly and Montego Bay , Jamaica have all been very nice and friendly. I think it helps to be patient, have all of your stuff ready to go and just have a smile on your face. I find just being nice and smiling does wonders! Remembering that they are people who are doing a job, go home to their families, and get stuck in traffic just like the rest of us, helps.

Then again, I'm something of an exhibitionist and I LOVE my piercings and I LOVE jewelry so I'm more than likely willing to show them off to ANYONE who asks with sincerity.

Feisty