Thread: Tongue Piercing. Bad for you?

Auroforsy211 Guest

Default Tongue Piercing. Bad for you?

I'm planning on getting pierced on Thursday but I'm not sure where. I'm leaning towards my tongue but I don't want my teeth chipped. For those of you who have their tongue pierced how are your teeth/gums?

FeistyOne Guest

I HAD my labret pierced, which sorta qualifies because it IS a mouth piercing....I had to give it up because I ended up chipping my teeth. A grand later to fix my two front teeth I decided the pretty shiny was NOT worth it. I ended up with an oral fixation, would grab the shaft of the labret in my teeth in my sleep and chew on it. I woke up with my teeth chipped, I tried going to a short shaft so it was very snug so I couldn't pull it out far enough to chew on, didn't work, I tried a dental acrylic back disk, didn't work, I even tried getting PTFE shafts to save the piercing and I instead chewed the plastic disks right off. I went through four of them in 3 weeks. Thought about getting my tongue pierced but I realize I would probably do the exact same thing with that, too! So, just some food for thought, I'd say try it, maybe start out with a PTFE shaft, it IS possible to do that since they can be autoclaved and hopefully you won't end up with a habit of chewing on it...if you do, get rid of it before you cost yourself a fortune or end up looking like a hillybilly.

Auroforsy211 Guest

Thanks Feistyone, I'll rerember that, I'm planning on getting a snug barbell anyways so it doesn't interfer too much.

FeistyOne Guest

except you can't at first. You'll start out with a longer one until the swelling goes down. and by the time you are healed enough to do the change out, you WILL have some slack to mess with it. LOL Just don't mess with it!! Lots of people have them with no problems, including a couple of my friends. I just wanted you to know that yes it IS possible to have issues with the oral piercings too. Good Luck with your new piercing!

I don't know about the biting of the shaft...that made my teeth feel funny as i was reading it....arg....
    anyway my main concern with tongue piercings would be the possible slurred speach and i'm not just talking about when your tongues swollen...i know many people with what appear to be lisps after getting their tongue done... i don't know if that has anything to do with placement...or if they were just lucky but having all those nerves and stuff to dodge would get me...anyway that's the only reason i'm not getting it done because i personally love how they look, but i sing for a living, so that could suck if i developed a lisp....mmm...

Cat
    - Lay her down in her gingerbread coffin, she's so pretty all layed out in white -

When I had my tongue pierced, I slurred for the first couple of weeks! It's pretty funny, but it doesn't last. I've had it for about 5 years and havent had a problem. Don't chew on the jewellery, and make sure your barbell is the right length and you'll be fine

Exclamation

Be very cautious - my Cousin (she's in her 30's) just had major surgery due to her tongue piercing. She'd had it in for years, and kept asking her dentist if it was going to ruin her teeth or gums, and he kept telling her no. Then, she went in for a cleaning a month or so ago, and her gums receded on the backs of her bottom teeth so badly ALL of their roots were exposed! She had to have her gums cut in another area of her mouth to provide enough skin to graft on to the roots and little surrounding gum that was left to promote regrowth. Stitches, a nasty looking wax, and a few weeks of complete agony. She's a bit better now (as in fairly pain free), but it will take months for her gums to completely heal. You may want to reconsider.
    I'm back! ^_^