Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smartie Beads?

Default Smartie Beads?

Has anyone seen ends like these (apparently called "smartie beads") anywhere ever? I want to stretch my tongue to 4 ga, but I'm worried that I'll no longer be able to wear my regular titanium barbells with the average spherical ends because the ends will have to be too big! At 6 ga the ends are already huge, and I can't see anything larger being comfortable.

Is there any way these types of ends can be custom-made; has anyone tried something similar with a large gauge tongue piercing? I've researched and asked around, and apparently many people with large gauge tongue piercings have gone with half-dome ends to reduce length only to find that the edges were too sharp. I can't think of any alternative. Suggestions?

I'm not sure who is making them these days, but I have some elliptical ends that are very low profile, and have no sharp edges.
    I'm Dave...PDB (again!)

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

Quote Originally Posted by Iera View Post
    Has anyone seen ends like these (apparently called "smartie beads") anywhere ever? I want to stretch my tongue to 4 ga, but I'm worried that I'll no longer be able to wear my regular titanium barbells with the average spherical ends because the ends will have to be too big! At 6 ga the ends are already huge, and I can't see anything larger being comfortable.

Is there any way these types of ends can be custom-made; has anyone tried something similar with a large gauge tongue piercing? I've researched and asked around, and apparently many people with large gauge tongue piercings have gone with half-dome ends to reduce length only to find that the edges were too sharp. I can't think of any alternative. Suggestions?
    We do sell the NeoMetal "MnM" ends. They fit standard threaded jewelry but only come in 12g and 10g.

I'm going to check the Wildcat catalog to see if they have any for larger gauges.
    John Coffman
    Steel Navel Body Jewelry Co-Owner

If you can't find them and also have a bench grinder you could buy the half domes and round the edges with a felt wheel and abrasive compound. Start with a rougher grit and work the sharp edge off and then switch to a finer grit for a mirror polish.

But that's just what I would do. I'll take any excuse I can get to use a bench grinder
    New~school tricked out with old~school style

One of these days, I'm going to get some of those M 'n' M ends for my conch piercing. Probably when I enter the evil world of HR Management. Well ... that is until I become HR Manager of SN Intergalactic and have 164643543548645 minions under me
    If you only talk and donít listen, you only learn what you already know.

Quote Originally Posted by bash View Post
    I'm not sure who is making them these days, but I have some elliptical ends that are very low profile, and have no sharp edges.
    This sounds like it would work; unfortunately, I haven't come across anything fitting that description, and I've looked everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by steelnavel View Post
    We do sell the NeoMetal "MnM" ends. They fit standard threaded jewelry but only come in 12g and 10g.

I'm going to check the Wildcat catalog to see if they have any for larger gauges.
    Those would be perfect if they came in larger gauges! At 12 and 10 ga I think 99% of people with tongue piercings will find that a regular barbell agrees with them just fine, seeing as the ends don't have to be that large.

Quote Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
    If you can't find them and also have a bench grinder you could buy the half domes and round the edges with a felt wheel and abrasive compound. Start with a rougher grit and work the sharp edge off and then switch to a finer grit for a mirror polish.

But that's just what I would do. I'll take any excuse I can get to use a bench grinder
    Even if I had the equipment, wouldn't this create micro scratches in the jewellery? I don't think I have the skills to pull this off anyway. :P

*sigh* I'm surprised that someone doesn't have a similar product, as large gauge tongue piercings are becoming increasingly popular. I'm sure that almost everyone who stretches their tongue will run into this problem eventually (the length of the jewellery being too long because of the increasing size of the ends).

Quote Originally Posted by Iera View Post
    *sigh* I'm surprised that someone doesn't have a similar product, as large gauge tongue piercings are becoming increasingly popular. I'm sure that almost everyone who stretches their tongue will run into this problem eventually (the length of the jewellery being too long because of the increasing size of the ends).
    What diameter ti balls to you have on the 6g? Because IS makes 4g balls as small as 5/16". They also make a 5/16" half dome.
    John Coffman

The ones I have were made by the kinkmeisters at steelwerks. Dunno if they still do that kind of thing, but it doesn't hurt to ask. It's a Canadian outfit, btw.
    I'm Dave...PDB (again!)

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

Quote Originally Posted by bash View Post
    The ones I have were made by the kinkmeisters at steelwerks. Dunno if they still do that kind of thing, but it doesn't hurt to ask. It's a Canadian outfit, btw.
    I was checking them out earlier and couldn't see any mention of body jewelry, but it seems like they've made them in the past.
    John Coffman

They appear to have split the business, John. There's steelwerksextreme, and the more vanilla steelwerks.com, at least, according to Google.
    I'm Dave...PDB (again!)