Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wisdom words

Default Wisdom words

Got any? Here are a few gleanings from my life:

--Look forward with optimism, not back with regret
    --Take care of yourself first--then you will be able to take care of others
    --Maintaining connections with friends and loved ones is supremely important
    --Exercise and take care of your teeth
    Cloud "Lite"

my best one is: "Don't let it rent space in your head"
    Breelicious!

"no negative self-talk"!
    Cloud "Lite"

The guy giving the seminar I went to a few weeks ago recommended a book that I bought but haven't read yet. Just the title made an impact on me, though, and made me think.

"What Doesn't Kill Me: The New Psychology of Post-Traumatic Growth".

There was a lot of explanation leading up to it about how PTSD didn't exist years and years ago, but I like these words.

Live your life and forget your age.
    If you only talk and donít listen, you only learn what you already know.

Quote Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
    The guy giving the seminar I went to a few weeks ago recommended a book that I bought but haven't read yet. Just the title made an impact on me, though, and made me think.

"What Doesn't Kill Me: The New Psychology of Post-Traumatic Growth".

There was a lot of explanation leading up to it about how PTSD didn't exist years and years ago, but I like these words.
    okay, this derails the thread (but since I'm the OP, what do I care, lol!) and isnt your main point, but -- is the author saying people didn't suffer from PTSD before they named it? 'cause I'm pretty sure they did. They used to call it shell-shock after WWI, and people have always suffered from the aftermath of trauma.
    Cloud "Lite"

No. That wasn't what he (not the author, but the guy giving the seminar) was saying. He was more pointing out that, say, during the rise of the Roman Empire, people who engaged in battle took pride in their accomplishments, on the whole. There weren't the number of psychological casualties in battles that we have now. There are more reasons for this than just the way people today look at warriors, but he mentioned that trauma used to cause growth in people, and give them strength and pride.

I'm sure I'm not explaining this nearly eloquently enough. He's definitely not saying PTSD doesn't exist, just that there are alternatives to it. You don't have to let trauma affect you negatively. It's been 12 years since I married my first husband, and I'm only just now getting to the point where I'm not having triggered PTSD episodes because of the beatings and abuse I suffered at his hands. I've had a few moments of playback since my fight last year with the girl that attacked and bit me, too. But I like the idea of taking back my own power and growing from what happened instead of being imprisoned by it.

hmm. Very interesting topic. "what doesn't kill us makes us stronger" eh?
    Cloud "Lite"

Live in the moment!

Life is too short!

Love as much as you can!
    Make love not War!!

Mod! You have work to do!
    I'm Dave...PDB (again!)

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods