Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spiral Cartilage piercing- Still is throbbing pain

Default Spiral Cartilage piercing- Still is throbbing pain

I got my ear pierced 2 weeks ago. I got two cartilage piercings with a spiral earring connecting the two. I cannot find a way to soothe the piercing. It is still as painful now as it was 3 secs after I got it done. I have a few questions:

1. Should I turn the earring? I have been told yes and no. I tried to turn it today and it's very difficult and painful to move.

2. Can I use campho phenique or any other product on my piercing to help it heal?

3. Will I ever be able to sleep on that side of my head again?

4. Any other suggestions for relief?

I was actually better off a few days after the piercing than I am now. I haven't done anything different.

I have had a cartilage piercing before and never had any problems with it. I took it out in order to get this piercing. I had it for 7 years with no problems.

This is my first advanced piercing besides my belly button. Although I do have my lobes pierced 3 times and my cartilage one other time as mentioned above. After a little over 2 weeks I am still in throbbing pain, HELP!

The problem is most likely the spiral putting pressure on both of the piercings. Spirals aren't ideal for initial piercing jewelry. I'd recommend seeing your piercer and getting the spiral changed out for two individual labrets or barbells so that the cartilage piercings can heal properly and without so much pressure being put on them. Once they heal, you should be able to connect them with the spiral again. Also, what brand and material is the spiral?

1. Don't turn anything. Have you tried doing sea salt soaks? They may be able to soothe the pain, but the culprit is most likely the spiral.

2. No. Less is more in this case. Leave them be. Your body doesn't need extra stuff in order to heal.

3. Yes, once proper jewelry is installed. However, you should try avoiding that side while it's healing.

4. See above.

I'm assuming that you have helix piercings, which if improper jewelry is installed can be totally finicky. I know that I mentioned it above, but I think visiting your piercer again, getting them changed to high-quality separate pieces, doing soaks, and letting them mostly do their thing is your best bet. As for sleeping while they heal, do your best to not sleep on that side. Your head will be putting extra pressure on them and that's not what you want right now. Cartilage piercings like this usually take around a year or a little longer to heal.

Good luck!
    -Tiff

Yes, it is a spiral piece of jewelry. I haven't tried the salt soak. Like I said it was getting better and now the past 2 days it has been throbbing with worse paing than when I initially had it done.

try the sea salt soaks (1/4 teaspoon of pure salt with no additives to 8 oz water; heat until hot; soak for 5 minutes 2x day followed by clear water rinse). They will help a lot.

These are very finicky piercings and hard to heal, even with the best aftercare and jewelry, and that spiral jewelry is hard on the holes.

The only other thing I have to the excellent advice pierceelove gave you is that, after 2 weeks, if it's "worse" and "throbbing" it might be infected. Try the salt soaks and see if it improves, but if it starts to ooze foul smelling pus, is hot to the touch or anything like that, have it checked out by your piercer first, then a doctor.
    Cloud "Lite"

I do not think it is infected since there isn't any puss or swelling. My ear is a purplish/red color. I think when I tried to turn the earring, I ruined whatever healing had been done plus more.

I think that is why it is now throbbing and super sensitive. I know I should have left it alone but I got some bad advice apparently. Now I am just trying to sooth it while it heals <again>

Do you have a photo of your ear handy? We might be able to get a better idea of what's going on.

It should not be very red or purple right now. That is concerning and I hope it's just because you need to get rid of the spiral putting pressure on your ear.
    -Tiff

--"turning" or "rotating" is bad and outdated advice. Remember that new cells are trying to form inside the piercing, and when you turn the jewelry or disturb the piercing, it is tearing those fragile cells inside.

--Don't use campho phenique or any other ointment or anything. But you can use a drop of oil around the piercing. Emu oil is best, and will help you heal--you can buy it on this site. If you can't or don't want to do that, you can try another fresh oil like jojoba, grapeseed, or even olive, which will help lubricate it. Just dab a little (with clean hands) around (not in) the piercing holes.

--for temporary relief of the throbbing pain, a cold compress and ibuprofen can help.
    Cloud "Lite"

photo.JPG

Here is a pic that was taken a few days ago... before the throbbing came back. I'll try and take another really quick.

Here is a new pic I just took. Sorry if it's hard to tell, I am trying to take it with an iphone. photo1.jpg

it's very pretty, but it does look quite irritated. You really need to be doing the sea salt soaks.
    Cloud "Lite"