Thread: Mother with son who gauges his ears, have questions.

Lorri36 Guest

Default Mother with son who gauges his ears, have questions.

I have a 15 year old who has his ears guaged to 5/8. He stretched his ears pretty fast and that worries me. If he decides to reduce his piercings, is it possible? He may grow out of wanting this and I want to educate myself on what options he has.
    Also, he plays football. Will silicone retainers help for athletics. I don't want his ears to get torn during the game. I've seen those helmets fly off a few times!!!

5/8 is well past the point of no return after about two gauge or so it doesnt go back and to be 15 and have lobes that big is kinda crazy, it takes years to properly stretch your ears to that size , honestly i dont know what parents are thinking these days kids with huge stretched lobes , i see 15 year old girls with tattoos all the time, there not old enough to makes permanent choices about there bodies. body mods are Permanent and that choice should not be made by a child,

Hi Lorri,

As Wes said, at 5/8" there's no going back by just removing the jewelry.

Plastic surgeons are having good luck at reconstructing pierced ears.

There are also pictures of ear reconstruction surgery on bmezine.com as long as you're not squeemish about blood.
    John Coffman
    Steel Navel Body Jewelry Co-Owner

Most stretchers agree that the point of no return is somewhere between 2g and 0g depending upon ones body (consulting multiple professional sources), and for some people any and all stretches may be permanent. However, his stretching to quickly or too slowly depends upon when he started, the healing times he left between sizing up, and his body. I would estimate that it would take well over a year for most people to get near 0g (barring appropriate healing times), and I've never heard of ANYONE (even those who have pushed the envelope) to get to 5/8 in less than a year.
    I'm back! ^_^

Lorri36 Guest

Default Reply

Quote Originally Posted by XwesX View Post
    5/8 is well past the point of no return after about two gauge or so it doesnt go back and to be 15 and have lobes that big is kinda crazy, it takes years to properly stretch your ears to that size , honestly i dont know what parents are thinking these days kids with huge stretched lobes , i see 15 year old girls with tattoos all the time, there not old enough to makes permanent choices about there bodies. body mods are Permanent and that choice should not be made by a child,
    This 15 year old lost his dad a little over a year ago and is rebelling a little bit. This mom decided to choose my battles. There is enough pain in his life and I decided to let up a little. It's not drugs, or life or death, and I'll get him ear reconstriction surgery if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorri36 View Post
    This 15 year old lost his dad a little over a year ago and is rebelling a little bit. This mom decided to choose my battles. There is enough pain in his life and I decided to let up a little. It's not drugs, or life or death, and I'll get him ear reconstriction surgery if needed.
    I'm very sorry to hear about you and your son's loss. I can imagine that stretched ears are the least of your worries and it sounds like your son is actively pursuing actives, so that's healthy.

Welcome to the forums!
    John Coffman
    Steel Navel Body Jewelry Co-Owner

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Losing a loved one is never easy.

Silicone might well help during athletics.

As far as damage, if he stretched too fast then he probably has quite a bit of scar tissue built up. Massages may help break it down to some extent. 5-10 minutes at a time, a couple of times a day. I use a mixture of oils (part jojoba, part emu and a little naked oil) but really it's his choice. Some people swear by vitamin E oil, some jojoba, some emu oil (it is NOT vegan, if that's a concern). As was said, 5/8 is generally past the point of no return. However, if he chooses to remove his jewelry his ears may relax enough that the size isn't intolerable.

Welcome. Please feel free to ask questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorri36 View Post
    Smart lady playing heads-up ball. I wish you both well.

Sorry to hear about your loss

I would definitely look into some silicone retainers if he is going to be playing football

something like this is nice cheap and easy

http://steelnavel.com/product.asp?ID...&A2=8&A3=17302
    Ears: 00 gauge
    Lip: 14 gauge