Thread: What should I know about septum piercings?

Default What should I know about septum piercings?

So I've been thinking about getting my septum pierced for some time now, and I've already planned where and when I'm getting it done. I've been to this shop before, and highly recommend it to friends, (it's the shop I always go to and trust for my piercings).
    Now about the septum.
    Background: I've always wanted a nose piercing, but I really don't think I should get a nostril piercing because I have a very oily nose, and I think i will have a lot of issues with keloids due to that. That being said, I know I could also develop a keloid on a septum piercing as well, however it would be much harder to actually see. Since it would be up inside my nose.
    I've researched a little bit on what to expect but I think due to some people not being pierced in their sweet spot, there is a lot of varying information about this piercing.
    Healing time ranged from a few weeks to several months for some,(some ppl admitted they were pierced too low or it went through cartilage).
    Pain, again this dealt with the exact placement of the jewelry. For people who were pierced in the correct spot, it ranged from virtually painless, to a mild sharp pain. Pain for a new piercing is fine, and I'm pretty sure I'll be okay as long as the needle doesn't go through my cartilage, which if done correctly, should avoid this problem. Also should I flip it up right away or just leave it down when it's healing. I've heard that if its flipped up right away, not to keep flipping it up and down, because this can wear down the skin in this area and also disrupt healing. Another thing I heard was some people complaining of the shape of the hole if the piercing heals flipped up, and that if possible, to keep it flipped down during healing. It kinda makes sense, it's a circular piece of metal. If I were to flip it up the circular part of the bar, would be reversed from when it is flipped down, I don't know if that makes any sense, but I think i can understand the logic to keep it flipped down during the healing process, and it doesn't really matter AFTER it's healed.

Also I am prepared for the negative feedback I will probably receive in general, for this piercing. (Bull remarks, or is there something in my nose, etc.) Honestly though, a few years ago I actually did not like this piercing. But it's actually grown on me enough that I really want to get mine done now. And even though some of my friends "don't particularly like this piercing", they still support my decision to get it. And that really means a lot to me. But after this piercing heals I would be more than willing to flip it up if I'm around ppl that don't exactly fancy it as much as I do.

Additional questions
    - healing time, what to expect?
    -how possible/probable are keloids for this piercing?
    - do nose hairs irritate this piercing while it's healing and after it's healed?
    - Any issues with the septum piercing? Breathing? Rejection? Risks and dangers?

I apologize if this is a really long post, but I really want to know as much as I can about this piercing, prior to getting it done so that I'll at least have some idea of what to expect when I have it. Thank you if you've read this! Whether you can give any insight into this piercing or just as curious, non the less thank you!!!
    -Ai

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Here are a few answers from Elayne Angel's The Piercing Bible
    Additional questions
    - healing time, what to expect?
    4 to 8 weeks or longer
    -how possible/probable are keloids for this piercing?
    She doesn't mention that septum piercings are more susceptible to keloids nor are septums on her list of risky piercings.
    - do nose hairs irritate this piercing while it's healing and after it's healed?
    Anyone have personal experience with this?
    - Any issues with the septum piercing? Breathing? Rejection? Risks and dangers?
    "Your eyes may water and your nose may run for several minutes following the piercing." - Elayne Angel
    John Coffman
    Steel Navel Body Jewelry Co-Owner

Quote Originally Posted by steelnavel View Post
    Here are a few answers from Elayne Angel's The Piercing Bible

4 to 8 weeks or longer

She doesn't mention that septum piercings are more susceptible to keloids nor are septums on her list of risky piercings.

Anyone have personal experience with this?

"Your eyes may water and your nose may run for several minutes following the piercing." - Elayne Angel
    Oh these are a bit helpful thank You!
    Also I did end up getting it done so now I'm on my road to healing.

Quote Originally Posted by ailoveubuu View Post
    Also I did end up getting it done so now I'm on my road to healing.
    Congratulations! And good luck with your healing!
    John Coffman
    Steel Navel Body Jewelry Co-Owner

Quote Originally Posted by steelnavel View Post
    Congratulations! And good luck with your healing!
    Thank you very much!!!