Thread: How to keep balls and bars screwed on tight?

Question How to keep balls and bars screwed on tight?

I have a 4-tier guiche ladder using Captive Barbell Rings in size 4 gauge, which look and feel great. However, because of the movement and rubbing whenever I walk, the balls and bars often come unscrewed and fall off. Fortunately I usually hear when they hit the floor and can retrieve them, but I've already lost one end ball and so am ordering a few extra replacements - this gets expensive! I've hand tightened them as tight as I can, but eventually they work their way loose.

Does anyone have any tips on how to prevent balls from unscrewing so easily (but not glued permanently, because I like to change the jewelry from time to time)?

That's a common problem. The best advice I can give you is: heck for tightness on a regular basis. Another option might be to introduce a small amount of friction to the threads with Teflon tape.
    John Coffman
    Steel Navel Body Jewelry Co-Owner

Quote Originally Posted by steelnavel View Post
    That's a common problem. The best advice I can give you is: heck for tightness on a regular basis. Another option might be to introduce a small amount of friction to the threads with Teflon tape.
    Thank you for the suggestions, John. Checking frequently for tightness on piercings in my crotch isn't always an option when I'm out and about - LOL. Teflon tape may be difficult to wrap around such a tiny threaded post, but it reminds me of Loctite threadlocker - I'll give that a shot and will report back on how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverlaker View Post
    Thank you for the suggestions, John. Checking frequently for tightness on piercings in my crotch isn't always an option when I'm out and about - LOL. Teflon tape may be difficult to wrap around such a tiny threaded post, but it reminds me of Loctite threadlocker - I'll give that a shot and will report back on how it works.
    LOL on putting your hands in your pants on a regular basis. That may or may not go over well in public. Just be careful with introducing potentially toxic chemicals near your piercing.
    John Coffman
    Steel Navel Body Jewelry Co-Owner

Quote Originally Posted by steelnavel View Post
    LOL on putting your hands in your pants on a regular basis. That may or may not go over well in public. Just be careful with introducing potentially toxic chemicals near your piercing.
    You might want to try a tiny drop of Elmer's glue. It's not meant to bond metal to metal, but it fills the threads and makes a tight fit, and it is non-toxic. I've used this for other threaded fastenings -- nothing as small as body jewelry -- held tight, though sometimes pliers were needed to unscrew. Soaking in warm water will also loosen it. You should experiment with jewelry off body first. Try a tiny tiny drop applied with a toothpick.